This post is a collaboration with Shipt at Meijer. All opinions are my own.
Let’s chat about Shipt, the new grocery delivery service for Meijer! Hear my reviews, tips and everything you need to know…from a budget shopper point of view.
The buzz around social media in my area has been all about Shipt lately. It’s hard to not hear people on Facebook gushing about how great the deliveries are. Groceries from Meijer delivered? Is this too good to be true?! I had to learn all about it and do some research. As a bargain shopper, I was on a mission to see if using Shipt would still keep us on track with our grocery budget.
Let’s start from the top. Here are some essential details to get you started:
- Pricing. Shipt has a monthly ($14) or yearly ($99) subscription fee. If your order is over $35, there is no charge for delivery. You can cancel anytime, you’re not locked into any contract.
- Locations. Currently in Michigan, it’s available for the Detroit and Grand Rapids area, quickly moving to the rest of the state soon. Also available in Indianapolis and Fort Wayne. It will spread to all major markets in Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, and Wisconsin.
- Delivery Times. Since Meijer is open 24/7, deliveries are available 7 days a week and you can schedule almost any hour of the day.
- Payment methods. Any major credit card is accepted. Unfortunately, no Meijer gift cards can be used, also no coupons or Mperks. There are Shipt gift cards that you (or someone else) can add to your account. Also, food stamps are not currently approved.
- Tips. Tipping is just like any delivery, completely optional. After delivery, you can add the tip with the app on the credit card already being charged. No need to carry cash!
My first order was super organized. I made a meal plan and schedule for our week, which I highly recommend. I also shopped the weekly sale items to stay on budget. It was nice to not have to worry about clipping coupons before shopping. I was bummed I couldn’t earn points towards my mPerks rewards.
After completing my first order, here are my initial thoughts:
- Prices are obviously going to be a bit higher, but certain items weren’t bad at all. For instance, they had a 10/$10 and those items were $1.19. Other items like produce and meat were quite a bit higher, if not on sale. I would probably get certain staples in store.
- Completing an order takes about 30 minutes. I took my time to find the best prices and made sure I had everything for my weekly menu. I ordered the night before delivery and there were plenty of times to choose from for the next day.
- Granted, I didn’t need every component for my meals, but I was able to keep my order under $75, including tip. I enjoyed not having to stress about going to the store and also there is less temptation to buy items not on my list! For me, the small up-charge on items is worth it to not buy extra items in store. Those clearance end-caps get me every time!
- Your Shipt shopper has plenty of communication with you. You’ll know when they are shopping, checking out and on their way. Also, if any items are out of stock, you can get substitutions or change your list. Forgot something? Your shopper can add it! SO nice!
- Once you complete your order, there’s a “Buy Again” section. This will save TONS of time for my next order and you can easily click on common household items to add to your cart.
See my Facebook Live video to see our delivery and my tips!
Aside from general groceries, Shipt offers almost any other item in the store! I can see myself running out of diapers when the little guy comes and using Shipt to avoid a trip to the store. As you can see below the prices aren’t bad at all. You can also get health and beauty items, plus household items such as paper goods or cleaners.
Will Shipt replace all of my grocery shopping? No, but I LOVED it for convenience during a crazy week. Also, as mentioned, once the baby comes deliveries will help out so much.
I’d love to hear your thoughts if you’ve tried Shipt! What was your favorite part? Any tips?
I also have an awesome GIVEAWAY for you: a FREE year subscription to Shipt! Enter below: