Adding a new twist on a classic, a bit of roasted garlic adds a kick of flavor for this Loaded Baked Potato Soup. Perfect for a chilly day!
This post was sponsored by Better Than Bouillon as part of an Influencer Activation for Influence Central and all opinions expressed in my post are my own.
When I’m making my meal plan, I always like to have at least one soup scheduled for the week. I can eat soup every day, especially for lunch. #addicted That being said, it’s nice to have a variety so we don’t get tired of the same thing.
Olivia always requests potato soup with all of the fixins: bacon, green onions, crackers, cheese…sometimes even a dollop of sour cream. Potato soup is a great way to use up leftover mashed potatoes!
To get that slow simmered flavor quickly, I use Better Than Bouillon instead of store bought stocks. If you watch my Instagram cooking stories, you know how much I adore it!
Aside from adding a boost of flavor, they’re also easier to store than prepared stock. Since it’s concentrated, I simply mix with filtered water while cooking to reconstitute it. Traditional bouillon cubes can be gritty and packed with sodium, Better Than Bouillon has a smooth consistency.
You can also use the concentrate for marinades or other sauces. I always add a dollop of the Vegetable variety to my pasta sauces for an extra layer of flavor!
There so many flavors of Better Than Bouillon to chose from. I get large jars of the reduced sodium chicken from Costco and it lives in our fridge! My other go-tos are roasted garlic, beef and vegetable. The chili is a new one that I cannot wait to try!
- Premium Flavors: Chicken, Beef, Vegetable, Roasted Garlic, Chili, Clam, Fish, Ham, Lobster, Mushroom and Turkey
- Organic: Roasted Chicken, Mushroom, Turkey, Beef and Vegetable
- Vegetarian: Vegetable, Roasted Garlic, Organic Vegetable, Vegetarian No Beef Base, Vegetarian No Chicken Base
- Reduced Sodium: Reduced Sodium Beef, Reduced Sodium Chicken, Reduced Sodium Vegetable
Looking for an easy, comforting potato soup? This Loaded Baked Potato version has an added kick of roasted garlic. YUM!
- 2 pounds russet potatoes scrubbed and cleaned
- 4 slices thick cut bacon diced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 4 cloves roasted garlic (regular minced works, too!)
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tbsp Better Than Bouillon chicken flavor
- 1 teaspoon Better Than Bouillon roasted garlic flavor
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon each dried thyme, sweet paprika
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 2 cups shredded colby jack cheese divided
- Toppings: shredded cheese, green onions
Preheat the oven to 400º. Poke the clean potatoes with a fork a few times and wrap in foil. Bake 40 minutes, or until tender. Feel free to use a microwave to bake, too!
Allow the potatoes to cool enough to chop, peeling away a majority of the skin. Set aside.
In a large pot, heat over medium heat. Add bacon and allow to brown. Remove from pot and save for later. Add onions and garlic. Cook until tender, about 4 minutes.
Place butter in the middle of the pot and allow to melt. Sprinkle with flour. Stir and a paste will form after about 1 minute.
Slowly pour milk into the pot, whisking well. Season with thyme and paprika. Add chicken and roasted garlic Better Than Bouillon. Stir to combine.
Add water in 1 cup increments, stirring well. Now add chopped potatoes. Stir and allow to bubble for 10 minutes, uncovered, stirring frequently.
Season with salt and pepper. Add more chicken Better Than Bouillon, if needed. Using a masher, or hand blender, break up the potato chunks. If you'd like a smooth soup, blend it completely.
Add half of the bacon back to the pan, plus 1 cup of cheese. Stir.
To serve, top with chopped bacon, green onions, cheese and oyster crackers.
You can bake the potatoes ahead of time to make this a quicker process.
To reheat, you might need to add a splash of milk.
There’s also a fun giveaway!
I-C will randomly select winners from all program entries and will facilitate fulfillment of the winning prizes 9 winners.
- Prizes up for grabs:
- (9) $50 Visa Gift Cards
- (1) Better Than Bouillon Variety Gift Pack – includes flavors of Chicken, Vegetable, Chili, Beef and Garlic