Easy prep day item: chicken taco meat! Perfect for salads, nachos, Taco Tuesday and more. Simply Organic Simmer Sauce makes it quick and easy!
Disclaimer: This post is a collaboration with Simply Organic. All opinions are my own.
True story: I’ve been slacking with my Sunday Prep Days this summer. I guess since we’re home most days, I just prepare items as we need them. But with the baby arriving ANY DAY, I’m trying to give myself a hand. If the oven is on, I’ll roast some veggies. If I’m chopping onions, I’ll do an extra onion or two. Simple steps to make life easier.
Yesterday, I was feeling energetic and I got so much done for the week! Since the baby is probably arriving at some point this week, I wanted to make sure I had easy meals for someone to prepare while I’m in the hospital. I made a slow-cooker meat sauce for pasta, chopped fruit and veggies for snacks and made this chicken taco meat.
I love how versatile taco meat is…and the Simply Organics Simmer Sauce makes it easy to prep. There are a few varieties of the simmer sauces, also check out the fajita and red enchilada. I can’t wait to make fajitas! Saturday night, I took out some pre-shredded frozen chicken for the tacos. Everything comes together in less than 10 minutes! You could easily sub ground chicken, turkey or even shredded beef. If you’re a vegetarian, this would be so great with a lentil and black bean combination.
Obviously, I checked out the ingredient list and nutrition label, everything is perfect! We have found some of the powder taco spices too salty or chalky tasting. This simmer sauce was phenomenal! It’s not spicy at all, but the flavor really packs a punch.
Ideas for use:
Obviously a regular taco is our go-to, but I have so many other ideas!
- Chicken taco salad: add black beans, lettuce, salsa, brown rice and avocado for a delish lunch salad.
- Southwest Wrap: switch up your wrap with this taco chicken! I would add spinach, cheese, salsa, avocado ranch and the chicken. YUM!
- Tostada. We call these Mexican pizzas for the girls. Smear refried beans on a toasted tostada shell, then top with chicken and cheese. Melt for 1-2 minutes in oven. Top with salsa, sour cream and whatever you please!
- Double decker tacos. These are a huge hit right now for us. One layer flour tortilla, smear with refried beans, then attach to a crunchy shell. Fill with normal taco fixings.
- Mexican Lasagna. Smear tortillas with sour cream, layer with salsa and cheese and chicken taco meat.
What would you make with this chicken taco meat? Have you tried the Simply Organic simmer sauces yet?