Whew! The name of this recipe is a bit of a mouthful, but I had to capture EVERY great thing about it! I love slow-cooker recipes, especially ones I can enjoy all week. On Sunday, I’ll make a batch of these overnight steel-cut oats and have a healthy breakfast waiting for me all week. I simply heat it up and top with yogurt, berries, nuts or honey. I have found when I don’t have quick breakfast options ready, I tend to NOT EAT. Um, not good. No one wants to be around me when I’m hangry!
Once you have the basic recipe, you can add whatever spices or fruit you desire. Not a fan of cashew or almond milk? Add regular! It’s so versatile.
So why exactly do you want to use steel-cut oats vs regular oatmeal? They’re a bit heartier and really fill you up. I have found one 1/2 cup serving is plenty for breakfast! Steel cut oats have fiber, protein and less calories, yet they take FOREVER to cook properly. Since mornings are rushed enough as is, I love making them in the slow-cooker. They’re cooked on high for 1.5 hours, then they “rest” overnight.
Blue Diamond has a new variety of Almond Breeze milk which I’m loving: cashew almond with vanilla. In our house we buy both dairy and non-dairy milk for different cooking and drinking reasons. I tend to use cashew milk for smoothies and baking–I love the flavor!
Right now, you can have a chance to win an ultimate kitchen prize pack from Almond Breeze! Just share a recipe idea you have for Almond Breeze and you’ll get some coupons, plus be entered to win the prize. Score!
- 2 cups apple, chopped and cored (about 2 large)
- 1 cup steel-cut oats
- 2 cups Blue Diamond Vanilla Almond Cashew milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup apple cider
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds (optional)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- Set slow cooker to HIGH setting.
- Toss apples in cinnamon, brown sugar, vanilla and chia seeds in bottom of slow cooker.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Cook on HIGH for 1.5 hours, stirring ever 30 minutes.
- Turn off, leave lid on and let stand for 8 hours, or overnight.
- In the morning, stir and reheat for 30 seconds.
- Top with favorite toppings: almonds, fresh fruit, Greek yogurt and more!
Have you tried steel-cut oats? What’s your go-to breakfast?
Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by Almond Breeze Almondmilk. Enter for a chance to win the Ultimate Kitchen Prize Pack, get great savings and ideas for delicious Blendabilities at AlmondBreezeBlendabilities.com.”