It’s officially Fall and comfort food season. I’ve put away all of the summer clothes and it’s time for boots, scarves and everything comfy. I love to make a variety of different types of chili- turkey, beef & lentil, chorizo. It’s a great filling dinner that can be made quickly for the family!
This variety uses sweet potato chunks and is filled with veggies! I could barely keep enough of this for photos, so you know this is a MUST TRY. Did you know that sweet potatoes are one of the most nutrient dense foods out there? Packed with vitamins and healthy beta carotene, you can’t go wrong with adding them to your diet. In the chili, some chunks of potato melt into the sauce and some stay whole giving it a subtle sweetness. YUM!
Turkey & Sweet Potato Chili
- 1 package of Jennie-O lean ground turkey (1.25 lbs)
- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- 1 can kidney beans , drained
- 1 large sweet potato , peeled and chopped into bite sized chunks
- 1 large onion , diced
- 1 green pepper , diced
- 1 poblano pepper , diced
- 1 large can stewed tomatoes (about 28 ounces), with juice
- 1 small can of diced tomatoes (14 oz), with juice
- 1 packet McCormicks Smoky BBQ Chili seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon each: cumin , garlic powder
- Toppings: cheese , corn chips, green onion, avocado
In a dutch oven or large soup pot, heat EVOO over medium heat. Add onion, sweet potato and peppers. Saute 3-4 minutes, until veggies soften.
Add ground turkey and break up as it cooks. Season with cumin, garlic powder and chili packet.
Once turkey is cooked through, add drained beans and tomatoes (don't drain). Stir and turn to low heat for 20 minutes.
If you serve with noodles or quinoa, prepare now.
Once chili has thickened, serve with toppings! This freezes great, too.