Disclaimer: This is a collaboration with Klement’s Sausage. I am proud to support a Wisconsin based company with such a delicious product. All opinions are my own.
Looking for a new and easy dinner idea? We love Klement’s Polish Sausage and this is a new twist: One Pot Cajun Bowl. YUM!
Who is running out of ideas for dinner? MEEE! Between busy weeknight schedules and picky eaters, I’m starting to get frustrated! We’ve always been a one meal family…I refuse to cater to the girls. This dish is a crowd-pleaser for alllll of our tastebuds. Of course, I go easy on the Cajun heat by adding extra hot sauce later.
We always have Klement’s sausage on hand- smoked bratwurst, Italian and Polish sausage and (of course) Summer Sausage. We used to live in Wisconsin, so we’re all about cheese and sausage!
This meal is great because you can add whatever you have on hand. It can be just sausage, or add chicken and shrimp for a specialty dish. Everything is prepared in one pot, which is a lifesaver for busy weeknights. I like to add the rice right into the dish and serve with fresh cornbread (that’s Olivia’s job). Heads up: if you’d prefer brown rice, this will take a bit longer than white rice.
Although we keep it simple by calling it a “cajun bowl”, it’s also basically a Gumbo-laya–the combination of gumbo and jambalaya. It gets the flavors from gumbo (sans the okra) and thickness, plus rice from jambalaya. The levels of heat can easily be adjusted by taste–just make sure you have a great hot sauce on hand. Polish sausage adds such a great flavor to the dish, it keeps a nice bite to it after cooking!
Looking for dinner in less than 30? Try this One Pot Sausage & Shrimp Cajun Bowl! YUM!
- 14 oz Klement's Polish Sausage, sliced
- 10 oz Shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 1 chicken breast, thinly sliced
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 medium onion
- 1 red pepper, seeded
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon Cajun spice
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup rice
- 1 can (15 oz) fire roasted tomatoes
- Garnish: green onions & hot sauce
- Using a chopper, dice onion, celery, red pepper and garlic cloves. Coarsely chop. Set aside.
- In a large pan (I use my wok!), heat a tablespoon of canola oil over medium-high heat. Add sliced chicken and cook until no longer pink. Remove from pot.
- Add chopped veggies into the pan, adding more canola oil, if necessary. Cook 4-5 minutes until softened.
- Season with thyme, onion powder, paprika and Cajun spice. Add sliced sausage.
- Spoon tomato paste into mixture and stir to heat up. Add stock, rice and entire can of fire roasted tomatoes.
- Bring to a bubble, then lower heat to low. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Check rice to ensure cooked through. If not, cook 3-4 more minutes.
- Add shrimp to cook quickly in the end, about 4 minutes.
- Sprinkle with green onion and stir.
- Serve in a bowl with extra green onions and hot sauce. It's great to dunk french or corn bread into the bowl.
Wondering where to find Klement’s products in your area? Use their store locator! Aside from their dinner sausages, I love to have their snack sticks on hand for quick, on-the-go treats in the car. Let’s be honest, they’re always in my purse, too! Being pregnant, I’m always randomly hungry.
Do you love Cajun food? What’s your go-to dish?