Looking for simple comfort food during your busy weeks? Slow-Cooker Stroganoff Meatballs are perfect–plus all items are from Aldi! Simply make egg noodles or potatoes when you get home and dinner is served!
We are going through a picky phase with Maddie, which makes Gabby picky too (copycat sister syndrome). It all starts when we get home from school. Maddie will nervously ask “what’s for dinner, Mama?” and I say “You’ll LOVE it!”. If she sees me preparing chicken, it’s the end of the world. Mushrooms? No way. I am not a short order cook, so we all eat the same meal–tough love.
Half the time, I think her distaste for certain foods is all in her head and she’s not going to admit she actually likes something. Once, she gobbled up Chicken Pot Pie (cleverly called Pot Pie), only after to find out there was chicken inside. At the dinner table, Gabby sees this behavior and follows suit. I try to ignore the shenanigans, but the dramatics that happen at the table are almost laughable. You would think I’m serving up some hot garbage the way she acts! Think: Paul Rudd in Wet Hot American Summer kinda behavior. Needless to say, this is why I hate dinner sometimes.
This meal has the dreaded mushrooms in it, but Maddie gobbled it up! Mom win! I have found that if I let her help me prep items, there’s a higher chance of dinner going smoothly. I figured if I combine one of her favorite foods, meatballs, the mushrooms might not be an issue.
Originally, I had this recipe up on my previous blog. The photos were awful and I thought it was high time to update the recipe. All items are found easily at Aldi, so it’s super budget friendly and VERY filling! If you decide to make this for a party, simply serve with toothpicks, instead of noodles!
- 1 Package Fit n Active Turkey Meatballs
- Fit n Active Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 packet Low-Sodium Brown Gravy Mix
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 2 packages (8 oz) mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Egg noodles, to serve
- Coat your slow cooker pot with cooking spray. Set to HIGH (4-5 hours) or LOW (6-7).
- Add onion, cream of mushroom soup, sliced mushrooms, thyme, gravy packet, milk and water. Stir to combine.
- Pour in entire package of meatballs. Stir and cover.
- Allow to cook, stirring occasionally.
- 15 minutes before serving, add sour cream and re-cover. Cook egg noodles.
- Serve over noodles, with a side salad or veggie.
If you can’t find the Fit n’ Active Turkey Meatballs, sub in your favorite variety–home-style or Italian are both delish!
Do you have sporadically picky eaters like me? What tips do you have?