This Tomato Risotto using Red Gold Tomatoes is perfect for the holidays–works well with any protein! Try it with roasted chicken, a beef tenderloin or even on it’s own!
By now, you should know how much I love Red Gold Tomatoes. The canned tomatoes come in a large variety of flavors and the price is perfect. I have collaborated with them again to share some delicious recipes on the Fox17 Morning Mix. This week, it was tomato risotto!
I know many people are intimidated by risotto because it sounds so fancy. It’s usually served at nicer restaurants or for special occasions. I’m here to promise you: it’s SO easy. The best part about this recipe is it can be used with almost any protein–roasted chicken, turkey, beef tenderloin or even seafood. It can be paired with red or white wine, too!
The key to perfect risotto is the rice. You cannot make it with plain white rice, it has to be the Arborio rice. It give it the creamy texture that is to die for. Make sure you’re prepared ahead of time with all items needed and be ready to babysit it a bit. It’s not complicated, just a bit time consuming. I love to put on a Podcast when I’m cooking so the time flies.
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1.5 cups Arborio rice
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans of Red Gold® Diced Tomatoes-Italian variety, drained and finely chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tablespoon pesto
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Heat a large sauce pan over medium heat. Add EVOO. Once heated, add onion and garlic.
- Simmer until onions are translucent. Add the rice and toast in oil mixture for 1 minute.
- Add 1 can of tomatoes and 1/4 cup chicken stock. Stir.
- Once all liquid is gone, slowly add more stock, continuing until all 4 cups have been added. This will take about 20 minutes.
- Add the other can of tomatoes, pesto and cheese. Stir to incorporate.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, and sprinkle with basil.
Adapted from the Red Gold® website.