Disclaimer: This post is in collaboration with Meijer & Produce for Kids. Both are companies I’m honored to work with and all opinions are my own.
Looking for a delicious and healthy snack for the kiddos? These Apple Pumpkin Muffins are perfect! Grab some stools and let the kids make these with you.
We are on a major muffin kick right now. For second grade, the twins now take their own snacks to school for a mid-morning treat. Before, we would provide a snack for the whole class once a month. We are still adjusting to this new format, but I really like it! I know that my girls are getting a healthy and filling snack when they might need it in the morning. Their lunches are short for my pokey eaters and I never know how much they’re really eating. We end up with food coming home in their lunchboxes quite often!
Muffins are a great snack to bake up on Sunday for their weekday snacks. I pair 2 mini or 1 regular sized muffin with some apple or carrot slices. I have found myself eating the same snack for my breakfast lately, too!Produce for Kids® is such a great program, providing healthy recipes for REAL families and a ton of great resources. I love their meal planning tips! Every time we shop at Meijer, my girls beeline for the Produce for Kids® recipe cards. This Apple Pumpkin Muffin recipe is adapted from their new fall Jump with Jill recipe cards!
To help earn money for schools in the community, Produce for Kids® and Meijer are teaming up with Jump with Jill again for a healthy eating promotion! The campaign is supported by nine participating fresh fruit and vegetable suppliers, representing most major categories of fresh produce. Sponsors include:
- Dole® Packaged Salads
- Earthbound Farm® Organic Mixed Baby Kale
- Highline Mushrooms®
- SUNSET® Campari® Brand Cocktail Tomatoes
- Michigan Apples
- Pero Family Farms® Steamy Cut Vegetables
- Green Giant™ Fresh Klondike Rose® & Red Potatoes
- Lil Snappers® Bartlett Pears from Stemilt Growers
- Marzetti® Caramel Dip
Two fall favorites apple and pumpkin are paired together for this delicious and HEALTHY snack! Let your kids help you in the kitchen with these, it's a kiddo friendly recipe.
- 2 cups flour (I love Ultragrain)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Pie Spice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1 can (15 oz) pumpkin puree (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup apple sauce
- 1 cup shredded Michigan apples (about 2 apples-Gala is a great option!)
- Optional: Favorite granola as a muffin topper before baking.
- Preheat oven to 350º
- Mix flour, sugar, pumpkin spice, baking soda and baking powder in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs. Add pumpkin puree, applesauce and coconut oil.
- Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients in large bowl. Stir until just combined. Fold in apple.
- In a lined muffin tin, fill each cup 3/4 full. Optional: top with favorite granola.
- Bake 25-30 minutes, or until golden orange color.
- Store in fridge for up to a week!
Adapted from the Produce for Kids Apple Pumpkin Muffin recipe cards at Meijer.
The original recipe called for canola oil, which is completely fine to use. We’re just coconut oil obsessed. You can also add flax seed or hemp hearts to bulk them up with more fiber. This recipe makes about 16 large muffins, or 32 mini muffins. The granola topping is completely optional, but adds a great crunch. Raw sugar is another great muffin topping option!
How is your fall going so far? What type of snacks do you send to school?